| Episode Guide
TWIG Ep 2.11 - Turning the Mic Back On - The latest news impacting the LGBTQ+ community. Plus a preview of next week's convo w/ author Christopher Zyda re: his forthcoming book (Dec 8) The Storm: One Voice from the AIDS Generation." Today, on This Week in Gay. #Pride48 Episode Link
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Queer seniors are more likely to suffer dementia & the reason is surprising
- Trump’s judges just overturned a law that bans fake therapy meant to turn gay kids straight
- Justice Alito takes aim at gay marriage in 'politically charged speech'
- History of Public Opinion of Same-Sex Marriage in the U.S.
- Statement by President-elect Joe Biden on Transgender Day of Remembrance
- LGBT History Month and its Hosts, Equality Forum.
- History of the NAMES Project - AIDS Memorial Quilt
- Next Week: Christopher Zyda and his new book "The Storm: One Voice From The AIDS Generation"
TWIG Ep 2.10 - Veepstakes - Is the 2020 Dem Vice President selection one of the most important in U.S. history? Join me today as I speak with Romo of the @podcubs podcast about Biden's Veepstakes. All of this today, on This Week in Gay. #Pride48. Episode Link
Item mentioned on this episode: New York Times "Joe Biden's Vice Presidential Pick: Who's in the running?"
TWIG Ep 2.9 - In the last week, two television sitcoms featuring LGBT actors and characters have ended their series run -- Will & Grace and Schitt's Creek. Both shows have added to the dialogue of acceptance and made us laugh along the way. Today, we focus on one of these shows -- Schitt's Creek. Toronto native and former podcaster Dave joins me to share his take on this very unique show. All of this today, on This Week in Gay! #Pride48 #P48 Episode Link
Items mentioned on this episode:
- Schitt's Creek
- The letter from Mama Bears on Facebook
- Dave's Tribute to Canadian Comedy Canon
TWIG Ep 2.8 - Today, we travel around the world to speak with someone from the first generation of LGBT podcasters, Arthur of the AmeriNZ podcast. The Chicago native has lived as an expat in NZ since 1995. We’ll hear how populism is different in NZ, what life is like for the LGBT community there, and other things that might surprise you about this secular society. All of this today, on This Week In Gay. #Pride48 #P48 Episode Link
TWIG Ep 2.7 - Podcasters Matt Burlingame and IC Greg join me to discuss what we’ve learned about the viability of LGBT Presidential candidates given the surprising campaign of Pete Buttigieg. We also discuss the misguided efforts by the religious right to limit LGBT adoption under the guise of “religious liberty." And we close with the inspiring testimony on LGBT adoptions by U.S. Representative Sean Patrick Maloney… all of this today, on This Week in Gay. #Pride48 #P48 Episode Link
Stories mentioned on this episode:
- The significance of Mayor Pete, by Allison Hope
- The APA issued 3 statements supporting LGBTQ people & equality
- Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney's Testimony on Religious Liberty assault on LGBT Rights
TWIG Ep 2.6 -You’ve heard the saying, two’s company, three’s a crowd… but what happens in a relationship of three? Today, we talk with Wes, Tommy, and Jon about their poly triad relationship. How did the relationship begin? What are the rules? How do they make it work? I’ll give you one hint, equilateral triangle. All of this Today, on This Week in Gay. #Pride48 #P48 Episode Link
TWIG Ep 2.5 - On today’s episode, we talk with three Pride48 podcasters about recent LGBT news. First up, Christina from the Greetings from NoWhere podcast discusses some troubling populism in Europe and some recent good news from Virginia. And in another conversation, The Laffing Buddha of The Scooter Diaries podcast and Musing Mark of the Midwest Matt podcast join to discuss lingering issues of suicide among LGBT teens and more than 200 state bills targeting LGBTQ Americans and the group behind this hate agenda. We close the episode with an addition to the “can’t we all just get along” file… as Staten Island Irish reject LGBT participants in their St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Thanks for listening. #Pride48 #P48 Episode Link
News Articles and other resources referenced in this episode
- Activist aims to shame Polish towns opposed to LGBT community
- Virginia passes sweeping LGBT rights legislation
- 226 bills target LGBTQ Americans this year One organization is behind a lot of them
- LGB youth are still attempting suicides at a high rate – here’s how you can help them
- Staten Island Irish reject the queers. Yet again.
- ACLU bill tracker website
TWIG Ep 2.4 - This week, we introduce you to another voice of of the podcast, Dede! Dede is a mental health practitioner. She shares how a car accident and resulting traumatic brain injury impacted her career path and her coming out story with her mother. We just scratched the surface with Dede. You'll hear more from her in the future! Thanks for listening. #P48 #Pride48. Episode Link
Referenced in this episode
TWIG Ep 2.3 - The Stonewall Riots in New York City gave rise to the Gay Liberation Front and other lesbian and gay movements across the U.S., Canada and beyond. Last year, the LGBTQIA+ community celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Stonewall. 2020 will see similar celebrations from coast to coast as cities like Atlanta mark their 50th year. On this episode of TWIG, we speak with Jamie Fergerson, Executive Director of The Atlanta Pride Committee. We learn about Atlanta Pride's history, evolution and we get a teaser about big plans for it's Golden Jubilee celebration. Learn more about Atlanta Pride at www.AtlantaPride.org. Thanks for listening. #P48 #Pride48. Episode Link
Referenced in this episode
TWIG Ep 2.2 - In the first full episode of the new This Week In Gay, George talks with Junior (@AJunior2007 on Twitter) to kick off a series of conversations with those outside the cisgender construct. Junior identifies as nonbinary. Lisen as Junior shares their definition of nonbinary and their experiences. We also discuss why labeling people will always be problematic. Episode Link
Referenced in the episode:
- Transgender Identity Terms and Labels
- Understanding the Complexities of Gender: Sam Killermann at TEDxUofIChicago (YouTube)
Note: These links are provided for context. No endorsement of specific definitions and terms is implied.
TWIG Ep 2.1 - The reboot episode with a brief explainer about how the new version of This Week In Gay will look moving forward. Episode Link